Access to a knee pain solution is necessary for individuals suffering from debilitating pain. It helps bring relief after an injury, underlying health condition, or overuse. In addition, it helps people maintain an active lifestyle while remaining healthy.
If you suffer from knee pain, this article should help you understand it and the treatment options at your disposal. Keep reading to find information about the best physical therapists in North Jersey.
Understanding Knee Pain
If you have knee pain, you would see it as a source of discomfort, depression, or hindrance. Therefore, you must understand its types, causes, and symptoms to manage it effectively.
Types of Knee Pain
There exist several problem types that may warrant a knee pain solution. However, highlighted below are the most common.
- Osteoarthritis: It is a common degenerative disease, which is the gradual breakdown of cartilage. Its symptoms may include discomfort, range of motion limitations, and stiffness.
- Ligament problems: Medial collateral ligament (MCL) and anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) are two common issues that cause instability and significant discomfort.
- Anterior knee pain syndrome: This problem usually affects the area behind or around the kneecap due to repetitive motions from jumping or running.
Causes of Knee Pain
Delivering appropriate knee pain solutions requires an understanding of its causes. Below are likely reasons for issues with this joint.
- Strains, sprains, and fractures can damage your joint, which leads to instability and discomfort.
- When you are involved in repetitive motions or overuse of your knee, you will likely put much stress on the joints. Therefore, frequent bending, jumping, and running may lead to significant discomfort over time.
- As you age, all your joints experience degeneration due to use. If you have osteoarthritis or a similar condition, you experience a faster breakdown, which leads to increased discomfort.
Symptoms of Knee Pain
Before it gets out of hand, you may experience several symptoms of knee pain. Once you feel these signs on a joint, you should quickly seek the help of a physical therapist. Some of these symptoms you may experience include the following.
- Discomfort or pain.
- Inflammation or swelling.
- Range of motion limitations and stiffness.
- Feeling like your knee may buckle.
- Popping and clicking sounds while in motion.
Knee Pain Treatment Options
Several knee pain solutions exist. However, each treatment option depends on the condition and underlying cause. In addition, it may come down to your personal needs and the experience of your therapist.
If you seek knee pain treatment, a physical therapist in Caldwell, NJ is an excellent option if you live in New Jersey. The specialists in this clinic may administer the following treatment options.
There exist several over-the-counter medications that can manage discomfort. These drugs include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory and acetaminophen drugs.
Using any of these drugs should address mild knee pain. However, if you have a severe problem, your therapist may opt for prescription medications.
Physical Therapy for Knee Pain should be your first option when dealing with pain in this joint. You can access a custom treatment strategy from a skills therapist. This approach should enhance flexibility, improve joint function, and strengthens joint muscles.
Not every knee problem requires a knee pain solution like medication and physical therapy. As such, some circumstances require surgical intervention.
Also, the type of surgery you may require depends on your specific condition. Your therapist may recommend arthroscopy if they want to diagnose your problem. If you have damage to cartilage or bone, you may require partial knee replacement surgery. Alternatively, you may require complete replacement surgery to restore function and eliminate discomfort.
Pain Behind the Knee
If you have pain behind this joint, you may have more specific problems. Therefore, you will require a physical therapist’s attention to determine the possible cause and treatment for your discomfort.
Causes of Pain Behind the Knee
There are several causes of discomfort behind this joint.
If you suffer from Baker’s cyst, you will have swelling filled with fluid behind your joint. This cyst type can cause discomfort and pain when you bend or fully extend your knee.
If you have pain that radiates to the back of your knee, you most likely have strained or torn your hamstring muscles behind your thigh.
Inflammation or discomfort of the tendons behind the knee can lead to popliteal tendinitis caused by repetitive joint use.
In rare cases, an injection or a medical intervention can lead to inflammation and pain.
The knee pain solution you require will depend on your situation.
If you feel a slight discomfort due to sports or a fall, you may need to rest for a few days. You may have to apply an ice pack frequently to reduce inflammation and discomfort.
If you have a severe case, you should consult a physical therapy expert.
Consider doing the following to find appropriate physical therapy for knee pain or sports therapy near me.
- Speak with your family physician for proper guidance. Alternatively, you should consult an orthopedist for more specific treatment options.
- Accessing the best care can come from referrals. Therefore, it may benefit you to speak with your family, friends, and other trusted medical professionals for appropriate guidance.
- Run a Google search and access information from reputable websites. In addition, you can find credible information on the website of the American Physical Therapy Association.
Knee pain is a condition that can drive you crazy. Having access to appropriate right knee pain solutions can be helpful. However, it is essential to understand your knee pain before seeking treatment.
Understanding knee pain means learning about its types, causes, and symptoms. Based on your condition, your therapist can create a custom treatment option for your needs.
As such, you may require medication, physical therapy, or surgery in severe cases.
On the other hand, if you experience pain behind the knee, it is essential to understand the causes.
Regardless of what knee pain you experience, accessing treatment requires consultation with professionals and the people around you. Furthermore, you can find credible information by searching the internet.